Colorful sunset at sea

18mm  f/7.1  1/125sec  ISO400
It was a relaxing and sunny day at sea during my Summer cruise to Greenland this year and I was hoping for a beautiful sunset in the evening. I love sunsets, especially at sea. But in later afternoon some clouds appeared and soon the whole sky was overcast. So, all hope was gone. At the time when sunset was near I was out on deck and saw that the horizon turned orange a bit. But nothing spectacular. And I still had no hope to see the sun this evening. Since we were high in the north the sun was setting quite slowly. This orange horizon stayed for a while becoming brighter and brighter at the location where sun should be. And suddenly she came out. What a surprise.

27mm  f/7.1  1/125sec  ISO400
The low hanging clouds around the sun turned into beautiful color from bright orange to intensive pink to deep blue. It was such an impressive sight that all people around got quite, enjoying this amazing scene. Orange clouds were reflecting in water turning it into some glowing sea. It was so beautiful to see, so emotional, simply breathtaking. The whole sky was glowing in strong colors. And as I already mentioned, the sun was setting slowly, so we could enjoy this spectacular scene for at least half an hour. Burning sky over glowing sea. I was so impressed that I stopped taking photos and just relaxed.

55mm  f/7.1  1/125sec  ISO400
The lower the sun went, the more intensive the colors got. One of the cruise guests went on to the rail to get an undisturbed view. The silhouette in front of the colorful background was a great scene. It absolutely transports the mood and feelings everyone got this evening. I intentionally left the silhouette blurred and set focus to the sunset. This way the attention is still at the sun. The contrast of that black color even more points out this strong and intensive color of sky and sea. After the sun has gone and the sky turned dark again everyone on board was overwhelmed, including me of course. We all have seen a lot of beautiful sunsets, but this one was very unique. A dark and overcast evening turned into one of the most amazing sunsets I've seen.

The photos were taken with my EOS 600D camera with my EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 standard zoom kit lens mounted to it. Camera was set into P mode and calculated aperture and shutter speed automatically. Due to the dark scene I set ISO to a fixed value of 400. I use fixed values for ISO to prevent from automatically calculated too high value which will cause some in you image. The photos were taken hands-free.

Comments